The Story of Kissamos
The municipality of Kissamos has approximately 11.000 citizens and covers 340.034 acres.
Kissamos was also known as Kastelli and got its name from the Venetian castle that used to stand in the town. The town flourished during the Roman period, with Roman baths, villas with mosaic floors, cemeteries, an aqueduct and the remains of the fortress walls. In the museum of KIssamos, there are archaic, classical and Hellenistic objects, pots, statues, glass containers and coins etc.
During the first Byzantine period, Kissamos retained its power and the diocese was established but during the second Byzantine period, the bishopric was moved to the village of Episkopi to escape the pirate raids on the coast. During the Venetian occupation, the diocese of Kissamos was received into the universal church, as mentioned by a Latin bishop in 1307.
During the period 1579 to 1582 a fortress with a pentagon-shaped church, prison, barracks and well was constructed. Some of the walls are still visible in the town today. During the Turkish occupation, Kastelli actively participated in all revolutionary attacks against the Turks and sought union with Mother Greece.