Kokkina Gremna Beach
This beach can be found after the village of Platanos in the west end of Kissamos. To access this wild rarely visited beach you will need a 4X4 vehicle or an off-road motorcycle.
The road from Kissamos to the beach is a normal countryside road but the last 3 Km is a rough dirt road where a normal car will not be able to go through it. If you don’t have a 4X4 vehicle then you can stop at the first 50 meters and walk the rest if you like hiking.
Now, if you get to the end of the road will find yourself at a small church. In this area there is some room for 1-2 cars to park, and from there you can hike your way to the beach which is 3-5 min hiking time. The view from the start of the dirt road and when at the beach is amazing. The beach is quite long and there is plenty of room to sit quietly even if a few more people happen to be around.
How to Get There
After leaving Kissamos, head west towards the village of Platanos. It should take you around 30 min until you get to the dirt road part. The roads after Platanos are narrow so caution is advised.
- A 4X4 vehicle is a must. Don’t try with a conventional car you might get stuck.
- As in any remote beach go prepared. No amenities.
- If you hike the entire road down, have some good shoes and water, the way up is steeper than it looks and can become a challenge especially at high temperatures.
- There are some bee hives along the way, if you are allergic be careful.
- Good area for snorkelling.